Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: Paragraph
Borrowed from Middle French paragraphe from Latin paragraphus (“sign for start of a new section of discourse”), from Ancient Greek παράγραφος (parágraphos), from παρά (pará, “beside”) and γράφω (gráphō, “I write”).
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈpɛɹəɡɹæf/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈpæɹəɡɹɑːf/
Audio (US) (file)
- Hyphenation: par‧a‧graph
paragraph (plural paragraphs)
- A passage in text that is about a different subject from the preceding text, marked by commencing on a new line, the first line sometimes being indented.
- (originally) A mark or note set in the margin to call attention to something in the text, such as a change of subject.
passage in text
- To sort text into paragraphs.