Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Unable to pay one's bills as they fall due.
- an insolvent debtor
- Owing more than one has in assets.
- Not sufficient to pay all the debts of the owner.
- an insolvent estate
- See also Wikisaurus:impoverished
Unable to pay
insolvent (plural insolvents)
- (law) One who is insolvent; an insolvent debtor.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Bouvier to this entry?)
- In England, before 1861, especially applied to persons who were not traders.
- insolvent in Duden online