Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Of or pertaining to a threshold or entrance.
- Of or pertaining to a beginning or first stage of a process; inceptive; inchoative; marginal.
- 1888, James Sully, Outlines of psychology, p. 114:
- Every stimulus must reach a certain intensity before any appreciable sensation results. This point is known as the threshold or liminal intensity.
- 1999, Sarah Iles Johnston, Restless Dead, p. 209:
- Second, spaces such as the threshold of a door are “liminal,” lying between otherwise defined areas without belonging to either of them.
Terms etymologically related to liminal
pertaining to a threshold or entrance
- liminal in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911