Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: Magpie
From Mag, a nickname for Margaret that was used to denote a chatterer, and pie, an archaic word meaning "magpie", from Old French pie, from Latin pīca, from Proto-Indo-European *(s)peyk- (“woodpecker, magpie”).
magpie (plural magpies)
- One of several kinds of bird in the family Corvidae
- especially Pica pica.
- A superficially similar Australian bird, Gymnorhina tibicen or Cracticus tibicen.
- Someone who displays a magpie-like quality such as collecting, or committing robbery.
- (slang) Fan or member of Newcastle United F.C.
terms derived from magpie
- Australian magpie Cracticus tibicen or Gymnorhina tibicen
- black magpie (Platysmurus leucopterus)
- oriental magpie
- green magpie (Cissa)
- blue magpie (Urocissa)
bird of genus Pica
Australian bird, Gymnorhina tibicen