Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: Magpie
From Mag, a nickname for Margaret that was used to denote a chatterer, and pie, an archaic word meaning "magpie", from Old French pie, from Latin pīca, from Proto-Indo-European *(s)peyk- (“woodpecker, magpie”).
magpie (plural magpies)
- One of several kinds of bird in the family Corvidae
- especially Pica pica.
- A superficially similar Australian bird, Gymnorhina tibicen or Cracticus tibicen.
- Someone who displays a magpie-like quality such as hoarding or stealing objects.
- (slang) A fan or member of Newcastle United F.C.
- (military, firearms) The 3rd circle on a target, between the inner and outer.
- (Britain, slang, obsolete) A halfpenny.
terms derived from magpie
- Australian magpie Cracticus tibicen or Gymnorhina tibicen
- black magpie (Platysmurus leucopterus)
- oriental magpie
- green magpie (Cissa)
- blue magpie (Urocissa)
bird of genus Pica
Australian bird, Gymnorhina tibicen