Jump to navigation Jump to search
- manhead (obsolete)
- The state or condition of being a human being.
- Synonym: humanity
- He feared the speedy decline of all manhood.
- The state or condition of being a man.
- He was a strapping youth poised on the brink of manhood.
- All of the men of a given place, area, or any human subgroup (ethnicity, nation, race, religion, family, work crew or ship's crew, etc.) regarded collectively.
- Synonym: mankind (exclusively and universally: only synonymous in cases for which women are excluded, and when the meaning of manhood is universal or worldwide)
- Antonyms: womanhood, womankind
- During the Second World War, Russia lost a great percentage of its young manhood, giving rise to a great wave of widowhood in the country.
- 1908, L. Brent Vaughan, Editor, The New Standard History of the World Volume 2, page 809:
- […] it was not until the year 1870, after the republic had been completely drained of its manhood and resources, that the long war was terminated by the capture and death of Lopez […]
- 1914, D.J. Griffin, Hon. Sec. Castleisland, Kerry, Ireland , Article from the Newspaper "Ireland", Wednesday, November 11, 1914 Title: "Kerry Staunch and True, Great Meeting in Castleisland" :
- But he thanked them all the same for the good example they had shown the county and the country, that in time of trouble, in time of difficulty, and in time of doubt, the manhood of this district and of the surrounding district, and the manhood of Clan Desmond should show their faith in the old grand ideals of a free and united Ireland (cheers).
- 1916, Dana Burnet (American Poet) , Excerpt from the poem: "The Gunboat" :
- But nosin’ down the roadway past the bones of other wrecks / Goes the doughty little gunboat with her manhood on her decks!
- 1923, Douglas Wood Miller, Practical Exercises in News Writing and Editing, page 112:
- The greatest product of any country is her manhood. What if she can boast of coffers bursting with gold, when she raises men with earthen hearts?
- 1932 (October), J.D. Eggleston, The Attitude of Virginia Leaders Toward Slavery and Secession Appearing in: The Virginia Teacher, Volume 13, Issue 7, .pp. 147 - 154:
- Her (the American South's) soil was drenched with blood; the very flower of her manhood was martyred; her women and children were made to suffer in the extreme; her property was destroyed by forced emancipation, by the devastation of war, […]
- 2003, Lenn E. Goodman, Islamic Humanism page 112:
- Long focused on its Soviet adversary, America seemed barely to notice the manhood of Islam. Training, dedication, religious zeal, planning, even where purity might falter, would correct all that. Islam needed young men, skilled, willing to die. The United States would be reduced.
- The idealized nature of a man: all of the characteristics traditionally and ideally ascribed to manliness regarded collectively.
- Synonyms: manfulness, manliness, mannishness
- Antonyms: womanhood, womanishness, womanliness
- My goodness, James certainly is a prime example of manhood, isn't he?
- Traditionally, men sought to enhance the manhood of their young sons, so that they would become manly men, but in general, men no longer do so.
- The self-concept of a man being with respect to his possession of the various qualities traditionally and ideally ascribed to manliness; a man's sense or view of himself as being more or less manly.
- Antonym: womanhood
- The failure of William's business seems to have been quite damaging to his manhood.
- I feel that when you boss me around, you insult my manhood.
- 1926, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The Land of Mist:
- It was a racking experience, and he did not repeat it. The muscular cramps which are characteristic of the complaint were tying the sufferer into knots, and he was biting his lips to shut down the screams which might have relieved his agony at the expense of his manhood.
- (euphemistic) The male genitalia, especially the penis.
- 1936, Rollo Ahmed, The Black Art, London: Long, page 50:
- In the course of a journey the Rabbis [...] came across a young man who had been robbed of his manhood and made a eunuch by a certain witch.
- 2016, Rory Tingle, "Thai man has a sex ring removed with bolt cutters after it became stuck on his penis", Daily Mail, Associated Newspapers:
- A Thai man was taken to hospital to have a sex toy removed with bolt cutters after it got stuck on his penis. He was using the device at home but was left in agony when he could not detach it from his manhood.
state of being human
state of being a man
men as a group
qualities ideally ascribed to manliness
euphemism of male genitalia
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.
Translations to be checked