Jump to navigation Jump to search
- IPA(key): /niː/, /neɪ/
- Homophones: knee, nay, neigh
Audio (US), pronounced /niː/ (file) Audio (US), pronounced /neɪ/ (file)
née (not comparable)
- Used when giving the maiden name of a woman.
- Mrs Smith, née Jones
- Used when giving a former name. Originally known as.
- Since the name change, Butch (née Frances) seems more tough and self-assured.
used to indicate maiden name of a woman
used to indicate a former name
- In the original French, the masculine form né should be used when the subject is masculine. In English, this distinction is not always followed.