Jump to navigation Jump to search
Nobleman sense from white-nob (“white-head”) (18th century), referring to the powdered wigs used by those having or affecting upper middle-class status.
- (UK) enPR: nŏb, IPA(key): /nɒb/
- (US) enPR: nŏb, IPA(key): /nɑb/
Audio (AU) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɒb
- Homophone: knob
nob (plural nobs)
- (now only in slang) The head.
- Jack and Jill went up the hill / to fetch a pail of water; / Jack fell down and broke his crown / and Jill came tumbling after. / Up Jack got and home did trot, / as fast as he could caper, / to old Dame Dob / to mend his nob / with vinegar and brown paper.
- (cribbage) A jack of the same suit as the card turned up by the dealer. (See also nibs.)
- One for his nob.
- (slang) The glans penis, the sensitive bulbous structure at the end of the penis also known as the head of the penis. (Also spelled knob.)
- (slang, chiefly Britain) a wealthy or influential person; a toff
jack of the same suit as the card turned up by the dealer
slang: glans penis
a wealthy or influential person; a toff
- to love