Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (UK) IPA(key): /ˌɒp.əˈtjuː.nɪ.ti/
- (US) enPR: ä'pər-to͞oʹnə-tē, IPA(key): /ˌɑpɚˈtunəti/
Audio (US) (file)
opportunity (plural opportunities)
- A chance for advancement, progress or profit.
- Having a holiday is a great opportunity to relax.
- I wanted to become a professional, but because of my financial situation there were no opportunities.
2011 October 23, Becky Ashton, “QPR 1 - 0 Chelsea”, BBC Sport:
- Chelsea also struggled to keep possession as QPR harried and chased at every opportunity, giving their opponents no time on the ball.
- A favorable circumstance or occasion.
chance for advancement, progress or profit
favorable circumstance or occasion
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
Most common English words before 1923: begin · wait · laughed · #791: opportunity · lines · personal · due