Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˌɒp.əˈtjuː.nɪ.tɪ/, /ˌɒp.əˈt͡ʃuː.nɪ.ti/
- (General American) enPR: ä'pər-to͞oʹnə-tē, IPA(key): /ˌɑpɚˈtunəti/
- Hyphenation: op‧por‧tu‧ni‧ty
Audio (US) (file)
- A chance for advancement, progress or profit.
- Having a holiday is a great opportunity to relax.
- I wanted to become a professional, but because of my financial situation there were no opportunities.
- 2011 October 23, Becky Ashton, “QPR 1 - 0 Chelsea”, in BBC Sport:
- Chelsea also struggled to keep possession as QPR harried and chased at every opportunity, giving their opponents no time on the ball.
- A favorable circumstance or occasion.
- (nonstandard, Euro-English) opportuneness
- The Court questioned the opportunity of introducing these measures in such an uncertain economic climate.
chance for advancement, progress or profit
favorable circumstance or occasion
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
Translations to be checked