Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: Poutine
- (Quebec) A dish consisting of french fries topped with cheese curds and gravy, eaten primarily in Canada
- Jean made an eight-hour trip across the border into Quebec just to satisfy his craving for poutine.
- (Quebec) Any of a number of variations on the basic poutine dish.
- In Italian poutine, gravy is replaced with spaghetti sauce.
Unclear, probably related to a number of European-French dialectal words, some later usages being influenced by the English word pudding. Story has it the modern dish name is from the “mess” meaning.
poutine f (plural poutines)
- (Quebec) poutine
- (Acadian) Any of several potato-based dishes.
- (Quebec, obsolete) Any of several pudding-like desserts.
- (Quebec, obsolete) A messy situation or complicated thing; a quagmire.
- (Quebec, obsolete) A fat woman