- (Canada) A dish consisting of french fries topped with cheese curds and gravy, eaten primarily in Canada
- Jean made an eight-hour trip across the border into Quebec just to satisfy his craving for poutine.
- (Canada) Any of a number of variations on the basic poutine dish.
- In Italian poutine, gravy is replaced with spaghetti sauce.
Unclear, probably related to a number of European-French dialectal words, some later usages being influenced by the English word pudding. Story has it the modern dish name is from the “mess” meaning.
poutine f (plural poutines)
- (Quebec) poutine
- (Acadian) any of several potato-based dishes
- (Louisiana) dumpling
- (Quebec, obsolete) any of several pudding-like desserts
- (Quebec, obsolete) a messy situation or complicated thing; a quagmire
- (Quebec, obsolete) a fat woman
(Quebecois PDT frites based dish):