Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (obsolete, intransitive) To exist, to be.
- (intransitive) To be comprised or contained in.
- (intransitive) To be composed, formed, or made up of.
- The greeting package consists of some brochures, a pen, and a notepad.
2013 July 19, Timothy Garton Ash, “Where Dr Pangloss meets Machiavelli”, The Guardian Weekly, volume 189, number 6, page 18:
- Hidden behind thickets of acronyms and gorse bushes of detail, a new great game is under way across the globe. Some call it geoeconomics, but it's geopolitics too. The current power play consists of an extraordinary range of countries simultaneously sitting down to negotiate big free trade and investment agreements.
- (be composed of): comprise
to be composed (of)
From consist (verb).
consist (plural consists)
- (rail transport) A lineup or sequence of railroad carriages or cars, with or without a locomotive, that form a unit.
- The train's consist included a baggage car, four passenger cars, and a diner.
sequence of railroad carriages or cars that form a unit
- consist in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- consist in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911
- consist at OneLook Dictionary Search