Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈsændbɒks/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈsændbɑks/
Audio (US) (file)
- Hyphenation: sand‧box
- (US) A children's play area consisting of a box filled with sand.
- A box filled with sand that is shaped to form a mould for metal casting.
- A container for sand or pounce, used historically before blotting paper.
- A box carried on locomotives, from which sand runs on the rails in front of the driving wheel, to prevent slipping.
- (computing) An isolated area where a program can be executed with a restricted portion of the resources available.
Running a program in a sandbox can prevent it from doing any damage to the system.
- (Wiktionary and WMF jargon) A page on a wiki where users are free to experiment without destroying or damaging any legitimate content.
- (US, military, usually "The Sandbox") The Middle East.
- (play enclosure with sand): sandpit (UK):
box with sand for children
isolated program execution area
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- (computing, transitive) To restrict (a program, etc.) by placing it in a sandbox.
2011, Richard Wagner, Building Facebook Applications For Dummies: