Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Of or born under Saturn's influence.
- Containing lead, or suffering from lead poisoning (saturnia).
- Having a tendency to be gloomy, bitter, and sarcastic; sullenly sardonic.
- Gloomy, depressed, dull.
- Cold and slow to change and react (refers to mood).
- 1770, Nicholas Culpeper, The English physician enlarged., page 167
- "But Henbane delights most to grow in Saturnine Places, and whole Cart-Loads of it may be found near the Places where they empty the common Jacks, and scarce a Ditch can be found without it growing by it. Ergo, it is an Herb of Saturn."
- 1793, John Whitehead, The life of the Rev. John Wesley, M.A, page 550
- "But Dr. Johnson would certainly not have expressed himself in this strong language of approbation, had Mr. Wesley been that dark, saturnine creature, represented by Archbishop Herring."
gloomy, depressed, dull
saturnine f pl