Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: Scripture
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈskɹɪpt͡ʃɚ/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈskɹɪptʃə/
Audio (US) (file)
- Hyphenation: scrip‧ture
- A sacred writing or holy book.
- The primary scripture in Zoroastrianism is the Avesta.
- 1732, George Reynolds, A diſſertation: or, Inquiry Concerning the Canonical Autority of the Goſpel according to Mathew; […] , 2nd edition, page 4:
- In a word, they were made uſe of by the immediate ſucceſſors of the Apoſtles, and many of them read in the Public Aſſemblies of Chriſtians, as Canonical Scripture, without the leaſt mark of Diſtinction, in point of Autority […]
- 2001, Leander Keck, Who is Jesus?, →ISBN, page 143:
- It would be quite unwise to deem the whole historical enterprise as wrong-headed and to think that one can revert to the gospels' way of reading scripture, […]
- (by extension) An authoritative statement.
- (religious texts) scripture, religious text; Bible, Qur'an, Tao Te Ching, Torah, Veda (Category: en:Religion) 
any sacred writing or book