Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Audio (US) (file)
- (weaving) The edge of a woven fabric, where the weft (side-to-side) threads run around the warp (top to bottom) threads, creating a finished edge.
- Any edge of fabric finished so as to prevent raveling.
1803, Erasmus Darwin, The Temple of Nature, The Gutenberg Project, published 2008:
- Her stately limbs the gather'd folds surround, / And spread their golden selvage on the ground.
- (printing) The excess area of any printed or perforated sheet, such as the border on a sheet of postage stamps or the wide margins of an engraving.
- (geology) A distinct border of a mass of igneous rock. It is usually fine-grained or glassy due to rapid cooling.
- (geology) Clay-like material found along and around a geological fault.
- The edge plate of a lock, through which the bolt passes.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Knight to this entry?)
edge of a fabric
border on a sheet of postage stamps