Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: stand by
standby (plural standbys)
- A state of readiness without immediate involvement; remaining in preparation for (a sudden or unforeseen event or situation).
- The troops were on standby in case of an attack.
- (electronics) sleep mode
- (travel) Waiting at the airport in the hope of getting a seat on a flight that is already booked out.
- Something that is standard, well-tested, or frequently used.
- That recipe is an old standby, and she keeps the ingredients around in case of unexpected guests.
state of readiness without immediate involvement
- (proscribed neologism, operations) To wait briefly, as for additional communication by radio or telephone; alternative spelling of
- Standby while I check that for you.
- For usage examples of this term, see Citations:standby.