Jump to navigation Jump to search
supermajority (plural supermajorities)
- Any qualified majority, specified in advance of a vote, required for the vote to be passed.
- 2019 March 5, Tim Wu, “The Oppression of the Supermajority”, in The New York Times, ISSN 0362-4331:
- The defining political fact of our time is not polarization. It’s the inability of even large bipartisan majorities to get what they want on issues like these. Call it the oppression of the supermajority.
- 2021 April 15, Libby Brooks, “Could Salmond’s ‘supermajority’ talk harm the Scottish independence cause?”, in The Guardian:
- Launching his new political party, Alba, he [Alex Salmond] claimed he could help secure a “supermajority” for independence in the next Scottish parliament, which would significantly weaken Westminster’s opposition to a second independence referendum.
qualified majority — see qualified majority