Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /tɔːnt/, enPR: tônt
Audio (UK) (file)
- (US) IPA(key): /tɔnt/, enPR: tônt
- Rhymes: -ɔːnt, -ɑːnt
- to make fun of (someone); to goad (a person) into responding, often in an aggressive manner.
to make fun of (someone); to goad into responding
taunt (plural taunts)
- A scornful or mocking remark; a jeer or mockery
- 2020 November 13, Duncan Campbell, “Peter Sutcliffe obituary”, in The Guardian:
- The attacks and the failure to catch the killer created an atmosphere of fear and dismay throughout Yorkshire, and provoked grim taunts to the police at Leeds United football matches such as “Ripper 10, Police nil”
a scornful or mocking remark
- (obsolete, nautical) Very high or tall.
- a ship with taunt masts
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Totten to this entry?)