Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
tole (plural toles)
- (uncountable) A decorative metalware having a lacquered or enamelled surface that is painted or gilded
- (uncommon) tola (unit of mass)
- toll (Etymology 3)
- To entice.
- It is often necessary to tole a big stag, to induce him to leave the hind ...
- 1693, John Locke, Some Thoughts Concerning Education, 1797, The works of John Locke Esq, Volume III, page 52,
- And thus the young Soldier is to be train’d on to the Warfare of Life ; wherein Care is to be taken that more things be not repreſented as dangerous than really are ſo ; and then, that whatever you obſerve him to be more frighted at than he ſhould, you be ſure to tole him on to by inſenſible Degrees, till he at laſt, quitting his Fears, maſters the Difficulty, and comes off with Applauſe.
- To allure.
- To attract.
- to bear, endure, stand, tolerate
- Dei toler ikkje synet av kvarandre. - They can't stand the sight of each other.
- tåle (Bokmål)
- “tole” in The Nynorsk Dictionary.