waster (plural wasters)
- Someone or something that wastes; someone who squanders or spends extravagantly.
- (dialectal) An imperfection in the wick of a candle, causing it to waste.
- A destroyer.
- He also that is slothful in his work is brother to him that is a great waster.
- (one who spends extravagantly): For semantic relationships of this sense, see spendthrift in the Thesaurus.
- (imperfection in the wick): thief
waster (plural wasters)
- (obsolete, chiefly fencing) A kind of cudgel; also, a blunt-edged sword used as a foil.
- 1621, Democritus Junior [pseudonym; Robert Burton], The Anatomy of Melancholy, Oxford: Printed by Iohn Lichfield and Iames Short, for Henry Cripps, OCLC 216894069; The Anatomy of Melancholy: […], 2nd corrected and augmented edition, Oxford: Printed by John Lichfield and James Short, for Henry Cripps, 1624, OCLC 54573970, (please specify |partition=1, 2, or 3):, II.3.6:
- Or, as they that play at wasters exercise themselves by a few cudgels how to avoid an enemy's blows, let us arm ourselves against all such violent incursions which may invade our minds.
- (obsolete, Scotland) A leister; a spear for catching fish.
- (Anglo-Norman) Alternative form of
This verb conjugates as a first-group verb ending in -er. The forms that would normally end in *-sts, *-stt are modified to z, st. Old French conjugation varies significantly by date and by region. The following conjugation should be treated as a guide.
|gerund||en wastant||Use the gerund of avoir followed by the past participle|
|imperfect||wastoie, wasteie, wastoe, wasteve||wastoies, wasteies, wastoes, wasteves||wastoit, wasteit, wastot, wasteve||wastiiens, wastiens||wastiiez, wastiez||wastoient, wasteient, wastoent, wastevent|
|future||wasterai||wasteras||wastera||wasterons||wasteroiz, wastereiz, wasterez||wasteront|
|conditional||wasteroie, wastereie||wasteroies, wastereies||wasteroit, wastereit||wasteriiens, wasteriens||wasteriiez, wasteriez||wasteroient, wastereient|
|present perfect||Use the present tense of avoir followed by the past participle|
|pluperfect||Use the imperfect tense of avoir followed by the past participle|
|past anterior||Use the preterite tense of avoir followed by the past participle|
|future perfect||Use the future tense of avoir followed by the past participle|
|conditional perfect||Use the conditional tense of avoir followed by the past participle|
|subjunctive||que jo||que tu||qu’il||que nos||que vos||qu’il|
|imperfect||wastasse||wastasses||wastast||wastissons, wastissiens||wastissoiz, wastissez, wastissiez||wastassent|
|past||Use the present subjunctive of avoir followed by the past participle|
|pluperfect||Use the imperfect subjunctive of avoir followed by the past participle|
- English: waste (borrowed)