Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also 
laya -- root word of kalayaan
- The state of being free (of restraints, such as external factors or grief).
- Release from prison.
- Malaya ka na. -- You're free to go.
- Having the liberty to choose.
- Malaya tayong bumoto ng kung sinong pinaniniwalaan nating ikabubuti ng bansa. -- We have the freedom to vote for whom we believe will be beneficial for our country.
- Being independent.
- Having the ability to move in an unconstrained manner; being unconstrained.
- lumalaya: being freed from
- naglalaya, pinalalaya, pinalalayaan: freeing someone or something from
- kalayaan: freedom