Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (transitive) To imagine or suppose (something) to be true, or to exist, without proof.
- to suspect the presence of disease
- From her hand I could suspect no ill.
- 1963, Margery Allingham, chapter 5, The China Governess:
- Mr. Campion appeared suitably impressed and she warmed to him. He was very easy to talk to with those long clown lines in his pale face, a natural goon, born rather too early she suspected.
- 2013 June 7, Gary Younge, “Hypocrisy lies at heart of Manning prosecution”, The Guardian Weekly, volume 188, number 26, page 18:
- WikiLeaks did not cause these uprisings but it certainly informed them. The dispatches revealed details of corruption and kleptocracy that many Tunisians suspected, but could not prove, and would cite as they took to the streets.
- (transitive) To distrust or have doubts about (something or someone).
- to suspect the truth of a story
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Addison to this entry?)
- (transitive) To believe (someone) to be guilty.
- I suspect him of being the thief.
- (intransitive) To have suspicion.
- (transitive, obsolete) To look up to; to respect.
- (imagine or suppose to be true): imagine, suppose, think
- (distrust, have doubts about): distrust, doubt
- (believe to be guilty): accuse, point the finger at
imagine or suppose to be true, without proof
distrust, have doubts about
believe to be guilty
suspect (plural suspects)
- A person who is suspected of something, in particular of committing a crime.
- Round up the usual suspects. — Casablanca
person suspected of something
- Viewed with suspicion; suspected.
- What I can do or offer is suspect.
- 2013 January 1, Katie L. Burke, “Ecological Dependency”, American Scientist, volume 101, number 1, page 64:
- In his first book since the 2008 essay collection Natural Acts: A Sidelong View of Science and Nature, David Quammen looks at the natural world from yet another angle: the search for the next human pandemic, what epidemiologists call “the next big one.” His quest leads him around the world to study a variety of suspect zoonoses—animal-hosted pathogens that infect humans.
viewed with suspicion
- a suspect