Jump to navigation Jump to search
and; as well as; but (not); yet (not); (shows causal relation); (shows change of state); (shows contrast)
to speak; to say; talk; word
|simp. and trad.
- to be regarding; to be in terms of; to be speaking of; to be as far as something is concerned
- 相比而言 ― xiāngbǐ éryán ― by comparison
- 誠偽是品性，卻又是態度。從前論人誠偽，大概就品性而言。 [MSC, trad.]
- From: 朱自清 (Zhu Ziqing), 《論誠意》
- Chéngwěi shì pǐnxìng, què yòu shì tàidù. Cóngqián lùn rén chéngwěi, dàgài jiù pǐnxìng éryán. [Pinyin]
- Sincerity and hypocrisy make up our moral character, but they also inform our attitude. In the past, when talking of sincerity and hypocrisy, discussions centred mostly on moral character.
诚伪是品性，却又是态度。从前论人诚伪，大概就品性而言。 [MSC, simp.]
而言 (éryán) is always put at the end of a sentence structure which starts with a preposition, such as 對於／对于 (duìyú, “regarding”), 就 (jiù, “in [terms of]”) or 從／从 (cóng, “from”), or is collocated with 相比 (xiāngbǐ, “comparison”).