Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
|Kanji in this term|
|ほこ > ぼこ
- The seed spike or raceme of the cattail or bulrush plant.
- (From the resemblance to a cattail seed spike in shape and sometimes color): A traditional Japanese fishcake: any of various processed seafood products made from surimi, in which whitefish is pureed, formed into loaves, and steamed until firm.
- 蒲鉾芋 (kamaboko imo): grated 山芋 (yamaimo), wheat flour, and arrowroot mixed, placed on a board, steamed, and made to look like kamaboko
- 蒲鉾形 (kamabokogata): a domed shape like a kamaboko loaf placed on a board
- 蒲鉾小屋 (kamabokogoya): a rough hut shaped like a kamaboko loaf, made of bent bamboo and covered in rushes
- 蒲鉾箍 (kamaboko taga): a brass or copper hoop such as for a barrel or 湯桶 (yutō) that is wide in the middle and narrow at the edges, similar in shape to a kamaboko loaf
- 蒲鉾豆腐 (kamabokodōfu): tofu mixed with walnuts, placed on a board, steamed, and made to look like kamaboko
- 蒲鉾味噌 (kamaboko miso): surimi mixed with white miso, cracked 山椒 (sanshō, “Japanese pepper”), minced ginger, soy sauce, and optionally other ingredients, and simmered in saké over low heat
- 蒲鉾道 (kamaboko michi): a road where the surface bulges up in the center and is lower on the edges, similar in shape to a kamaboko loaf
- 蒲鉾弓 (kamaboko yumi): a type of bow made of zelkova wood with a layer of bamboo on the outside and similar in shape to a kamaboko loaf, popular from the late Heian period