child; son; (noun suff.); small thing; midnight; 11 p.m.-1 a.m.; seed; egg; 1st earthly branch
During the Han Dynasty, the emperor's commode was called 虎子 (hǔzi). However, the grandfather of Emperor Gaozu of Tang was called 李虎 (Lǐ Hǔ). Because it was forbidden for common items to contain the given names of members of the imperial family (see Naming taboo), 虎子 was changed to 馬子／马子, which morphed later into 馬桶／马桶 (mǎtǒng).
- Min Nan
|Kanji in this term|
|Grade: 2||Grade: 1|
- packhorse driver
- A male given name
- 蘇我馬子 (Soga-no Umako) - famous leader of the Soga clan (died 626).
- Jim Breen's 'EDICT'
- The new Nelson Japanese-English character dictionary
- NTC's New Japanese-English Dictionary
- David Galef's book on proverbs "Even Monkeys Fall From Trees"
- Daniel Crump Buchanan's book "Japanese Proverbs and Sayings"