Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: girl friend
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈɡɝlfɹɛnd/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈɡɜːlfɹɛnd/
Audio (US) (file)
- Hyphenation: girl‧friend
girlfriend (plural girlfriends)
- A female partner in an unmarried romantic relationship.
- Coordinate terms: boyfriend, fiancée, lover, partner, significant other, sweetheart, wife, lady friend
- Marc went to the park with his girlfriend and watched the sunset with her.
- 1966, William Shatner as Capt. James T. Kirk, “The Man Trap”, in Star Trek: The Original Series, season 1, episode 1, Paramount Pictures:
- Want to pick some flowers, doctor? When a man visits an old girlfriend she usually expects something like that.
- A female friend.
- The term is used to refer to any girl or woman in a romantic relationship with another person.
- An adult woman in such a non-marital relationship is sometimes referred to instead as a significant other or partner, especially if the two partners are living together. Because girlfriend and partner mean different things to different people, the distinctions between the terms are subjective, and which term is used in a relationship will ultimately be determined by personal preference.
- The use of girlfriend for a female non-romantic friend of another female is limited in geographic distribution and sometimes preferred by older generations of speakers.
- → Russian: гёрлфренд (gjórlfrend)
a female partner in a romantic relationship
a female friend