Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: ई
From several sources merging into one suffix.
- Inherited from Sauraseni Prakrit -𑀇𑀅 (-ia), from Sanskrit -इक (-ika, “diminutive suffix”).
- Borrowed from the nominative singular form of Sanskrit -इन् (-in, “feminine suffix”).
- From Persian ـی (-i), from Middle Persian -yk' / 𐭩𐭪𐭩 (-īg) or Arabic ـِيّ (-iyy).
- Directly from Arabic ـِيّ (-iyy, “nisba suffix”).
-ई • (-ī) f
- forms qualitative adjectives from nouns
- forms adverbs from adjectives
- forms qualitative nouns from adjectives
- one who does
- (chemistry) -ine