Jump to navigation Jump to search
Further etymology is unknown and disputed (see the Russian Wikipedia article for more information).
- (Received Pronunciation) enPR: mŏsʹkō IPA(key): /ˈmɒskəʊ/
- (US) enPR: mäsʹkou, mäsʹkō, IPA(key): /ˈmɑskaʊ/, /ˈmɑskoʊ/
- (General New Zealand) enPR: mŏsʹkō IPA(key): /ˈmɔskɐʉ/
- The capital city of Russia.
- (by metonymy) The government of Russia or the Soviet Union.
- 1987, Shelomoh Naḳdimon, First strike: the exclusive story of how Israel foiled Iraq's attempt to get the bomb, page 40:
- Moscow said "Nyet!"
- 2009, Svante E. Cornell, S. Frederick Star, The Guns of August 2008: Russia's War in Georgia, →ISBN, page 184:
- In addition, Moscow argued that Georgia had violated international law by introducing its forces into South Ossetia, a move Moscow said Tbilisi had committed itself not to do under the earlier CIS-sponsored peacekeeping arrangements.
- A city in and the county seat of Latah County, Idaho, USA
- A town name in Iowa, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Indiana, Pennsylvania, etc. in the USA
capital city of Russia