1538, from Medieval Latin Russi (“Russians”). Ultimately from Byzantine Greek Ρωσσία (Rōssía) (whence also Russian Росси́я (Rossíja, “Russia”)), from an earlier (10th century) ethnonym Ῥῶς (Rhôs) (Arabic رُوس (rūs), Old East Slavic Русь (Rusĭ, “Rus”)), ultimately from Proto-Germanic *rōþrą (“rudder”), from Proto-Indo-European *h₁reh₁- (“to row”). See Finnish Ruotsi for more. Doublet of Rossija.
- A country in Eastern Europe and Northern Asia. The country extends from the Gulf of Finland to the Pacific Ocean, and was part of the USSR from 1922 to 1991. Co-official name: Russian Federation, formerly the Russian Soviet Federative Socialist Republic (RSFSR). Capital and largest city: Moscow.
- (historical, informal) The Union of Soviet Socialist Republics (a very common name, although more formally Russia, the RSFSR, was one of several constituent republics of the USSR).
- (historical) The Russian Empire.
- (historical, dated) Rus, the medieval East Slavic state.
- (dated, countable) Any of several East Slavic states descended from the Rus, typically including Russia (Great Russia), Belarus (White Russia) and Ukraine (Little Russia or Kievan Russia).
- 1842, George Eliot, Selections from George Eliot's letters, Letter to Cara Bray, page 24:
- Or rather if I be attaining a better autocratship than that of the Emperor of all the Russias — the empire over self.
- 1914, Russia and the Russian People:
- Then there is White Russia and Red Russia, Great Russia and Little Russia, Russia of the Frozen North and Russia of the Far East — a Russia equally dangerous to every one of her neighbours […]
- Countries of the world
- (countries of Asia) country of Asia; Afghanistan, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Brunei, Burma, Cambodia, China, Cyprus, Georgia, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Lebanon, Malaysia, Maldives, Mongolia, Nepal, North Korea, Oman, Pakistan, Philippines, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Syria, Tajikistan, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, Uzbekistan, Vietnam, Yemen
- (countries of Europe) country of Europe; Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Netherlands, North Macedonia, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine, United Kingdom, Vatican City
- Appendix:Place names in Russia
- Former Soviet Union
- Former USSR
- Soviet Union (historical)
- USSR (historical)
First-declension noun, singular only.