Wiktionary:Random Competition 2018
For this competition, we will be playing a variety of a board game. The board is identical to a board in another board game, and the tiles used are identical to the ones used in the English version of said game. The rules are based upon it too, but modified to allow more "words". I'm assuming that everyone knows the basic rules of the board game, if not - look at this.
Modifications to the rules
- Acceptable words
- Any word in any language that uses Roman script and that passes WT:CFI is accepted. Spaces, capital letters, hyphens, punctuation, diacritical marks etc. are allowed, but for the sake of gameplay, are ignored when being put on the board. So, the word alitayttaa will be accepted as alitäyttää is a word. The words lookupto, YMCA, top-heavy are, therefore, valid too. Letters such as œ may be used as either o or e.
- Words not using the Roman alphabet are also valid, provided they are properly transliterated according to the general rules of the language. Hence, bystreje is allowed, as быстрее is a Russian word.
- Scoring: As multiple players will play with the same letters at the same time, the scoring system must be modified.
- Every round lasts for a day, or at least until the time when the Gamesmaster is next online after a period of 24 hours.
- With the seven tiles, players must make the word with the most points. Points are awarded in exactly the same way as in normal English-language Scrabble. Players should email their words to the Gamesmaster in such a way to show the starting place and the direction, e.g. [H7 across: bystreje]. Every player gets a corresponding score which will be placed in the points section.
- The highest-scoring word will be placed onto the board, and then new letters will be taken out of a virtual bag for the next round. In the result of a tie, the first player to submit gets their word on the table.
- Play continues thus until all the letters have been used up. The player with the highest total score is the winner.
- Contesting words
- Anybody is free to contest the validity of any words. Any words played which are later deleted from Wiktionary will incur a penalty of receiving nil points.
- Gold - Triple word
- Pink - Double word
- Purple - Triple letter
- Cyan - Double letter
On a blank board, with letters R - 1 J - 8 F - 4 A - 1 G - 2 S - 1 M -3
- Bob - H6 down - ARMS - 12 points
- Dave- E8 across - JAMS - 26 points
- Ladylove988 - H6 down JARGS - 42 points
- Sockpuppet9923 - H4 down - JMARsFG - 0 points (invalid word)
- Maddog44 - H4 down - FARMS - 28 points
In this case, Ladylove988's word JARGS is placed onto the board, after she adds the word jargs to the dictionary.
- Wikitiki: H4 down: KVINTR (Old Norse kvintr) - 36 pts (yours on board as it was the first received)
- MK: thrink [G8 across] - 36 pts
- SB: H8 across KNIV - 22 pts
- WF: think [H8 down] - 34 pts
- Wikitiki: E5 across: OTXVACHU (a possible transliteration of Russian отхвачу), 130 pts
- MK: Theux F10 across by kvintre, 47 pts
- SB: F6 across XOI (= xoi), 26 pts
- WF: THORAUX, I3 DOWN, 113 pts
- MK: 4A across: Grabówek 106 pts
- SB: G3 down BOX (& G4 across OK), 21 pts
- Wikitiki: B7 across: Oberwang, 70 pts
- WF: G7 DOWN - BREGOVA брегова - 80 pts
- SB: D1 down STUB, 7 pts
- Wikitiki: A3 across: ELUENTS, also spells EG, LR, UA, EB, NOO, TWT, SEX -- 96 points
- MK: 3A across: NEUSTEN (with first N being the blank) 96
- WF: 1A Down: Tungenes, 131 pts
- MK: 2A across: RODIACE 128 pts and reg, ǫlr, dua, IEB, anoo, CTWT, Esex too.
- SB: A1 down DOEG 3*6 = 18
- WF: A1 down odegracie, 167 pts
- SB: K4 across Onley, 31
- MK: 8H across: toiletný 86
- Wikitiki: K4 down: thionyle - 78 points
- WF: G1 across - toyline making also TESEX, 95 pts
- SB: O5 down FOZY, 19 * 3 = 57
- MK: A1 down: Fregozes 189
- Wikitiki: A1 across: BOMZ (bomž, transliteration of бомж), also spells BREG, OOLR (OOLR = Overall Objective Loudness Rating), MDUA (mdua), ZIEB (zięb, genitive plural of zięba) -- 137 points
- WF: G1 Across BOMZ (бомж), also making BESEX (besex is probably valid too) , 63 pts
- SB: G9 across BREMO (+ OE, IM, OL) = 13 + 2 + 2 + 2 = 19
- MK: O1 down: Trombley 104
- Wikitiki: TREMBLO (tremblo, 3.sg.pres. of Occitan tremblar), also spells TIEB (tiʿēḇ, a possible transliteration of תיעב), RANOO (Ranoo, given name originating in India), ECTWT (ECTWT Ecumenical Coalition on Third World Tourism), MESEX (possible transliteration of месех, 1.sg. imperfect of Bulgarian меся) -- 122 points
- Nloveladyallen: O1 down Trombley 104
- WF: Tremboly O1 down - 104 pts
- MK: B6 down: MANGLES 91
- Wikitiki: L7 down: MELANGES. 72 points.
- Nlove: O7 down gymsalen, 65 PTS
- WF: B6 down: MANGLES 91 (srsly, I didn't copy you)
- SB: A8 across SNOOF 7*3 = 21
- Wikitiki: C7 down: FOGNANO, fognano, also spells EAF, SNO, GG, LN, EA, SN. 109 points.
- MK: 7C down: FANGONO, fangono 106
- Nlove: O7 down nyafog, 15
- SB: L9 across ADEE (adeeʼ) 7 (and thus also ea 2, td 3, ne 2, ye 5*3), total 29
- MK: 7D down AHEED 43
- Wikitiki: D8 down: HEAUIED (heauied, obsolete spelling of heavied), also spells SNOH (šnoh, transliteration of շնոհ, alternative form of շնորհ), GGE (gasoline gallon equivalent), LNA, EAU (eau), SNI (sní), OE (oe). 110 points.
- WF: D8 down: HEAUIE (heauie), also spells SNOH (šnoh, transliteration of շնոհ, alternative form of շնորհ), GGE (gasoline gallon equivalent), LNA, EAU (eau), SNI (sní), OE (oe). 56 points.
- Wikitiki: J2 across: QAPPS (QAPPs, plural of QAPP = quality assurance project plan), also spells OQ (oq). 107 points
- WF: J2 across: QAPPS (QAPPs, plural of QAPP = quality assurance project plan), also spells OQ (oq). 107 points (didn't copy)
- MK: 12A down: JAQS (JAQs) AND JSNI 103
- SB: O5 down jacy
- MK: 9G down: JADITIC (jaditic) 93 pts
- Nlove: L7 down: DEJICIAT (dejiciat) 36
- Wikitiki: L1 across: JACI (jaci), also spells JP, AP, CS. 86 points
- WF: L1 across: JACI (jaci), also spells JP, AP, CS. 86 points (didn't copy either)
- MK: L1 across: WUDY 65
- Wikitiki: H12 down: WUDY (Wudy, a surname), also spells IW (iw), TU (tu), ID (id), CY (cy). 80 points.
- Nlove: G15 across CRWYDR (crwydr) 45
- WF: H12 down: Wudy. 80 pts
- Wikitiki: E8 down: RIVALER (rivaler), also spells: SNOHR (
šnōhr, transliteration of šnwhlSnohr, a surname), GGEI (Global Green Economy Index), LNAV (lateral navigation), EAUA (eaua, "earth" in Tacana), SNIL (snil), OEE (overall equipment effectiveness), DR (Dr.). 114 points.
(talk) 13:13, 14 May 2018 (UTC)
- MK: 9E down: VIRALER 101, including GGEV, LNAI, eaur, śnią, oel
- WF: I3 across: rilaver, including OQI (Optics-based quantum imaging), al, pa, pv, se 106 pts
- WF: I13 down, EEI (translit of ἔῃ), also making tue, ide, CyI, 20 pts
- Wikitiki: J3 across: EIE (eie), also spells OQE (oqe), AI (ai), PE (pe). 21 points.
That's all, folks
The winner is the user with the most points. Please put your score down here
|Apr 16||Apr 18||Apr 19||Apr 21||Apr 23||Apr 25||Apr 26||Apr 28||Apr 30||May 2||May 4||May 5||May 8||May 11||May 12||May 14||Total|