Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- acknowledgement (UK)
Audio (US) (file)
acknowledgment (plural acknowledgments)
- The act of acknowledging; admission; avowal; owning; confession.
- The act of owning or recognizing in a particular character or relationship; recognition as regards the existence, authority, truth, or genuineness.
- An award or other expression or token of appreciation.
- An owning with gratitude of a benefit or an obligation (as in "acknowledgment" of a favor).
- A message from the addressee informing the originator that the originator's communication has been received and understood
- the acknowledgment of a wedding invitation
- (Telecommunications, computing, networking) A response (ACK) sent by a receiver to indicate successful receipt of a transmission (See Wikipedia article on transmission)
- An owning as genuine or valid; an avowing or admission in legal form (as in "acknowledgment of a deed").
- (law) A formal statement or document recognizing the fulfillment or execution of a legal requirement or procedure.
act of acknowledging