See also: Anchorage
anchorage (plural anchorages)
- (nautical) A harbor, river, or offshore area that can accommodate a ship at anchor, either for quarantine, queuing, or discharge..
- (nautical) A fee charged for anchoring.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Johnson to this entry?)
- That into which something is anchored or fastened.
- the anchorages of the Brooklyn Bridge
- (medicine) The surgical fixation of prolapsed organs.
- The act of anchoring, or the condition of lying at anchor.
- The set of anchors belonging to a ship.
- (figuratively) Something on which one may depend for security; ground of trust.
place for anchoring
fee for anchoring
that to which something is anchored
- ^ US FM 55-15 TRANSPORTATION REFERENCE DATA; 9 June 1886