Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -iːt
retreat (plural retreats)
- The act of pulling back or withdrawing, as from something dangerous, or unpleasant.
- In a retreat he outruns any lackey.
- The act of reversing direction and receding from a forward position.
- A peaceful, quiet place affording privacy or security.
- He built his son a house of pleasure, and spared no cost to make a delicious retreat.
- That pleasing shade they sought, a soft retreat / From sudden April showers, a shelter from the heat.
- A period of retirement, seclusion, or solitude.
- A period of meditation, prayer or study.
- Withdrawal by military force from a dangerous position or from enemy attack.
- A signal for a military withdrawal.
- A bugle call or drumbeat signaling the lowering of the flag at sunset, as on a military base.
- A military ceremony to lower the flag.
- (chess) The move of a piece from a threatened position.
act of pulling back or withdrawing
quiet place affording privacy
period of meditation, prayer, or study
- To withdraw military forces.
To withdraw military forces