Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
chump (plural chumps)
- (colloquial, pejorative) An incompetent person, a blockhead; a loser.
- That chump wouldn't know his ass from a hole in the ground.
- A gullible person; a sucker; someone easily taken advantage of; someone lacking common sense.
- It shouldn't be hard to put one over on that chump.
2012 August 5, Nathan Rabin, “TV: Review: THE SIMPSONS (CLASSIC): “I Love Lisa” (season 4, episode 15; originally aired 02/11/1993)”, in (Please provide the book title or journal name):
- Ralph Wiggum is generally employed as a bottomless fount of glorious non sequiturs, but in “I Love Lisa” he stands in for every oblivious chump who ever deluded himself into thinking that with persistence, determination, and a pure heart he can win the girl of his dreams.
- The thick end, especially of a piece of wood or of a joint of meat.
- Shaped as if they had been unskilfully cut off the chump-end of something.
- (an unintelligent person): blockhead, idiot, dope, dolt, dunce, dummy
- (a gullible person): gull, sucker, dupe, sap, dummy; pushover, patsy, stooge; mark, pigeon, sucker; fool, dummy
- See also Wikisaurus:dupe
an unintelligent person
a gullible person