Jump to navigation Jump to search
chump (plural chumps)
- (colloquial, derogatory) An incompetent person, a blockhead; a loser.
- That chump wouldn't know his ass from a hole in the ground.
- 2015, chief justice John G. Roberts, dissenting in Arizona State Legislature v. Arizona Independent Redistricting Commission et al., June 29 2015
- What chumps! Didn’t they realize that all they had to do was interpret the constitutional term “the Legislature” to mean “the people”?
- (colloquial, derogatory) A gullible person; a sucker; someone easily taken advantage of; someone lacking common sense.
- It shouldn't be hard to put one over on that chump.
- 2012 August 5, Nathan Rabin, “TV: Review: THE SIMPSONS (CLASSIC): “I Love Lisa” (season 4, episode 15; originally aired 02/11/1993)”, in AV Club:
- Ralph Wiggum is generally employed as a bottomless fount of glorious non sequiturs, but in “I Love Lisa” he stands in for every oblivious chump who ever deluded himself into thinking that with persistence, determination, and a pure heart he can win the girl of his dreams.
- The thick end, especially of a piece of wood or of a joint of meat.
- (an unintelligent person): blockhead, idiot, dope, dolt, dunce, dummy
- (a gullible person): gull, sucker, dupe, sap, dummy, patsy, pigeon
- See also Thesaurus:dupe
an unintelligent person
a gullible person
- Dated form of .
- 1922, Arthur Machen, The Secret Glory:
- At a neighbouring table two Germans were making a hearty meal, chumping the meat and smacking their lips in a kind of heavy ecstasy.