Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Rhymes: -ɛntʃ
clench (plural clenches)
- Tight grip.
- (engineering) A seal that is applied to formed thin-wall bushings.
- A local chapter of the Church of the SubGenius parody religion.
1989, Ted Schultz, The Fringes of Reason, page 210:
- And perhaps most innovative of all, Drummond and Stang pushed for a policy of clench autonomy […]
2003, Peter Knight, Conspiracy Theories in American History: An Encyclopedia, page 170:
- Every SubGenius clench is required to have a member who does not believe […]
2012, George D. Chryssides, Historical Dictionary of New Religious Movements, page 95:
- Originality is encouraged, and some clenches have devised their own distinctive organizational names […]
- To squeeze; to grip or hold tightly.
- He clenched his fist in anger.
- To move two parts of something against each other
- Bruxism is clenching the jaws.