1650s, from French épistolaire, from Latin *epistolarium, from epistola (“letter”) (English epistle) + -arium, from Ancient Greek ἐπιστολή (epistolḗ) from ἐπιστέλλω (epistéllō, “I send a message”) from ἐπί (epí, “upon”) + στέλλω (stéllō, “I prepare, send”).
- Of or relating to letters, or the writing of letters.
- Carried on by written correspondence.
- an epistolary relationship
- In the manner of written correspondence.
- epistolary style
- an epistolary novel
epistolary (plural epistolaries)
- (Christianity) A Christian liturgical book containing set readings for church services from the New Testament Epistles.