- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈfaɪ.tə(ɹ)/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈfaɪtɚ/, [ˈfaɪ̯ɾɚ]
- Rhymes: -aɪtə(r)
fighter (plural fighters)
- A person who fights; a combatant.
- A warrior; fighting soldier.
- A pugnacious, competitive person.
- (eulogistic) A person with a strong determination to resist protracted or severe adversity, especially illness.
- A class of fixed-wing aircraft whose primary purpose is that of shooting down other aircraft. Some of these (Fighter-Attack or Attack aircraft) also have a secondary purpose of attacking ground targets.
- A boxer or participant in any martial art.
- (colloquial) A firefighter
- (video games) A game with a focus on physical combat.
2004, Simon Carless, Gaming Hacks, page 59:
- Still, it's excellent software, especially for one-on-one fighting titles such as the King Of Fighters series, classic Street Fighter II variants, and newer one-on-one fighters such as Garou.
- cage fighter
- freedom fighter
- (aircraft): fighter-bomber, fighter-interceptor, fighter plane, foo fighter, fighter jet, stealth fighter, strike fighter
person who fights
pugnacious, competitive person
boxer — see boxer
participant in a martial art