Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (now rare) Merry, joyous; later especially, frolicsome, sportive, full of playful mischief.
- Coined by Kodi Masarik, the frolic wind that breathes the spring.
- The gay, the frolic, and the loud.
- 1766, Joseph Addison, The Spectator - Volume 5 - Page 304:
- You meet him at the tables and conversations of the wise, the impertinent, the grave, the frolic, and the witty; [...]
- 1897, Henry James, What Maisie Knew:
- Beale, under this frolic menace, took nothing back at all; he was indeed apparently on the point of repeating his extravagence, but Miss Overmore instructed her little charge that she was not to listen to his bad jokes [...].
- (obsolete, rare) Free; liberal; bountiful; generous.
frolic (plural frolics)
- Gaiety; merriment.
- 1832-1888, Louisa May Alcott
- the annual jubilee […] filled the souls of old and young with visions of splendour, frolic and fun.
- 2012 (original 1860), Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Marble Faun - Page 276:
- By the old-fashioned magnificence of this procession, it might worthily have included his Holiness in person, with a suite of attendant Cardinals, if those sacred dignitaries would kindly have lent their aid to heighten the frolic of the Carnival.
- 1832-1888, Louisa May Alcott
- A playful antic.
- He would be at his frolic once again.
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
- (intransitive) To romp; to behave playfully and uninhibitedly.
- (transitive, archaic) To cause to be merry.
conjugation of frolic
|present||I frolic||we frolic||I am frolicking||we are frolicking||I have frolicked||we have frolicked||I have been frolicking||we have been frolicking|
|you frolic||you frolic||you are frolicking||you are frolicking||you have frolicked||you have frolicked||you have been frolicking||you have been frolicking|
|he frolics||they frolic||he is frolicking||they are frolicking||he has frolicked||they have frolicked||he has been frolicking||they have been frolicking|
|past||I frolicked||we frolicked||I was frolicking||we were frolicking||I had frolicked||we had frolicked||I had been frolicking||we had been frolicking|
|you frolicked||you frolicked||you were frolicking||you were frolicking||you had frolicked||you had frolicked||you had been frolicking||you had been frolicking|
|he frolicked||they frolicked||he was frolicking||they were frolicking||he had frolicked||they had frolicked||he had been frolicking||they had been frolicking|
|future||I will frolic||we will frolic||I will be frolicking||we will be frolicking||I will have frolicked||we will have frolicked||I will have been frolicking||we will have been frolicking|
|you will frolic||you will frolic||you will be frolicking||you will be frolicking||you will have frolicked||you will have frolicked||you will have been frolicking||you will have been frolicking|
|he will frolic||they will frolic||he will be frolicking||they will be frolicking||he will have frolicked||they will have frolicked||he will have been frolicking||they will have been frolicking|
|conditional||I would frolic||we would frolic||I would be frolicking||we would be frolicking||I would have frolicked||we would have frolicked||I would have been frolicking||we would have been frolicking|
|you would frolic||you would frolic||you would be frolicking||you would be frolicking||you would have frolicked||you would have frolicked||you would have been frolicking||you would have been frolicking|
|he would frolic||they would frolic||he would be frolicking||they would be frolicking||he would have frolicked||they would have frolicked||he would have been frolicking||they would have been frolicking|
behave playfully and uninhibitedly