Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (intransitive) To bend the knee, as in servitude or worship
- 1913, Adrian Fortescue, Catholic Encyclopedia, "Gospel in the Liturgy"
- 1965, Tom Lehrer, The Vatican Rag
- First you get down on your knees, fiddle with your rosaries, / Bow your head with great respect and genuflect, genuflect, genuflect.
- (intransitive, figuratively) To behave in a servile manner; to grovel.
- 2017 September 27, Julianne Tveten, “Zucktown, USA”, in The Baffler:
- Certainly, the megalomaniacs who aim to populate municipal fixtures with registered-trademark logos will expect cities to genuflect at every turn.
to bend the knee, as in servitude or worship