how are you
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (General American) IPA(key): /haʊ ˈɑɹ ju/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /haʊ ˈɑː juː/
Audio (US) (file) Audio (AU) (file)
- (idiomatic) An informal greeting, not requiring a literal response. In form a question, and thus followed by a question mark. Typical responses include:
- I'm very well, thank you. How are you? (formal)
- I'm fine, thank you.
- Fine, thanks. (informal)
- Fine, and you? (informal)
- (idiomatic, Ireland) (Following a noun phrase; stress on are) An expression of derision, that the preceding referent is unworthy of the name. In form an exclamation, and thus often followed by an exclamation mark.
- 1967 July 20: Questions. Oral Answers. — Free Travel for Old Age Pensioners. Dáil Éireann debates
- 2013 December 31 "'Christmas how are you! We'll remember this one for a while'" Gorey Guardian
- 'Christmas how are you!' exclaimed Jim O'Hanlon ruefully. 'We will remember this one for quite a while anyway.' He was grateful that at least no one was injured in the incident.
- (informal greeting)
- (expression of derision)