Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Having or showing a sharp or critical quality
- Serving to fix a dye to a fibre.
biting or caustic
- Any substance used to facilitate the fixing of a dye to a fibre; usually a metallic compound which reacts with the dye using chelation.
- 1964, L.F. Salzman, English Industries of the Middle Ages, page 208:
- In dyeing two mediums are required, the colouring matter and the mordant which fixes the dye in the wool.
- Any corrosive substance used in etching.
- A glutinous size used as a ground for gilding, to make the gold leaf adhere.
- (substance for etching): etchant
a substance used to facilitate dye fixing
to subject to a mordant
- “mordant” in Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).