Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (jargon, chiefly computing) Capable of or characterized by an adequate or excellent level of performance or efficiency.
- Ours is a performant network monitoring and systems monitoring tool.
- This software is more performant than its predecessor.
1977, J. Rose & C. Bilciu, editors, Modern trends in cybernetics and systems, page 735:
- The program ALGOLOG is highly performant: it generated 259 linear subproblems, instead of 223.
2003, Rod Johnson, Expert One-on-One J2EE Design and Development, page 5:
- There are strong arguments that some features of J2EE, such as entity beans, can never be as performant in many situations as some alternatives.
- Of or relating to performance
1990, Jean Alter, A Sociosemiotic Theory of Theatre, page 61:
- As a rule, however, the performant function, when it is supported by truly impressive circus performances, tends to monopolize the audience's attention.
- (capable of achieving an adequate or excellent level of performance or efficiency): effective, efficient, high-performing, responsive, successful
performant (plural performants)
- Someone who performs something, such as a ritual
1979, Krishan Kumar, The Pailibos, page 169:
- If a performant happens to be on unfriendly terms with any one in the village, the performant does everything to get him reconciled long before the preparation is taken in hand.
- present participle of