Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: rétention
retention (plural retentions)
- The act of retaining or something retained
- The act or power of remembering things
- A memory; what is retained in the mind
- (medicine) The involuntary withholding of urine and faeces
- (medicine) The length of time an individual remains in treatment
- (obsolete) That which contains something, as a tablet; a means of preserving impressions.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Shakespeare to this entry?)
- (obsolete) The act of withholding; restraint; reserve.
- (obsolete) A place of custody or confinement.
- (law) The right to withhold a debt, or of retaining property until a debt due to the person claiming the right is duly paid; a lien.
the act of retaining or something retained
the act or power of remembering things; memory
the involuntary withholding of urine and faeces
right to withhold a debt