Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
(Redirected from start from scratch)
- (idiomatic) From the beginning; starting with no advantage or prior preparation.
- There were so many errors in the program that the programmer decided to rewrite it from scratch.
- When the writer finished writing his book, it was stolen and now he has to rewrite it from scratch.
- He had no money and no rich friends, so he had to build his business from scratch.
- (idiomatic) From basic materials or raw ingredients.
- She said she wanted to build a new house from scratch.
- He was out of pancake mix so he had to make the batter from scratch.
- 2002, The New Yorker
- He sat there Friday night and built an entire model ship from scratch.
from the beginning
from raw ingredients
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
Translations to be checked