Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: Appendix:Variations of "tot"
(This etymology is missing or incomplete. Please add to it, or discuss it at the Etymology scriptorium. Particularly: “The Common-Viet-Muong form would be *soːc.”)
Cognate with Muong Bi thốch (“good, beautiful”).
- good, as in high-quality, well-made, well executed, good-natured or ethical; compare hay (“good as in inventive, brilliant or entertaining”) and giỏi (“good as in skilled or competent”)
- Antonym: xấu
- gạo tốt ― good rice
- người tốt ― a good person; good people
- (of head hair or facial hair) very dense or long, more so than it should be
- Tóc tốt quá rồi, phải đi cắt thôi.
- My hair's getting out of hand. I gotta get it cut.
Sino-Vietnamese word from 卒.
- (xiangqi) soldier, a piece labeled with the characters 卒 (black) and 兵 (binh, red)
- (by extension, chess) pawn
- (figurative) pawn
|Chess pieces in Vietnamese · quân cờ vua (layout · text)|
|vua||hậu||xe, xa||tượng, tịnh||mã||tốt, chốt|