Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1 English
- 2 Catalan
- 3 French
- 4 Galician
- 5 Portuguese
- 6 Spanish
- trop. (abbreviation)
- (all senses except "characterized by tropes"):
- ("characterized by tropes"):
- Of or pertaining to the tropics, the equatorial region between 23 degrees north and 23 degrees south.
- From or similar to a hot humid climate, e.g. tropical fruit, tropical weather.
- (dated) Pertaining to, involving, or of the nature of a trope or tropes; metaphorical, figurative.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Jeremy Taylor to this entry?)
- The foundation of all parables is some analogy or similitude between the tropical or allusive part of the parable and the thing intended by it.
- (mathematics) Pertaining to tropical geometry.
of or pertaining to the tropics
from or similar to a hot humid climate
dated: metaphorical, figurative — see figurative
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
Translations to be checked
tropical (plural tropicals)
- A tropical plant.
- tropical in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913.
- tropical in The Century Dictionary, New York, N.Y.: The Century Co., 1911.
- tropical at OneLook Dictionary Search
tropical (masculine and feminine plural tropicals)
- tropical (pertaining to the tropics)
- “tropical” in le Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).
tropical m or f (plural tropicais)
- Rhymes: -aw
tropical (plural tropicales)