Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- 1 English
- 2 Catalan
- 3 French
- 4 Galician
- 5 Portuguese
- 6 Spanish
- trop. (abbreviation)
- Of or pertaining to the tropics, the equatorial region between 23 degrees north and 23 degrees south.
- From or similar to a hot humid climate, e.g. tropical fruit, tropical weather.
- (dated) Pertaining to, involving, or of the nature of a trope or tropes; metaphorical, figurative.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Jeremy Taylor to this entry?)
- The foundation of all parables is some analogy or similitude between the tropical or allusive part of the parable and the thing intended by it.
of or pertaining to the tropics
from or similar to a hot humid climate
dated: metaphorical, figurative — see figurative
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
tropical (plural tropicals)
- A tropical plant.
- tropical in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- tropical in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911
- tropical at OneLook Dictionary Search
tropical m, f (masculine and feminine plural tropicals)
- tropical (pertaining to the tropics)
- “tropical” in le Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).
tropical m, f (plural tropicais)
tropical m, f (plural tropicales)