Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: up-end
- (transitive) To end up; to set on end.
- To tip or turn over.
- When he upended the bottle of water over his sleeping sister, the lid popped off and surprised them both.
- To destroy, invalidate, overthrow, or defeat.
- The scientific evidence upended the popular myth.
2014 November 17, Roger Cohen, “The horror! The horror! The trauma of ISIS [print version: International New York Times, 18 November 2014, p. 9]”, in The New York Times:
- What is unbearable, in fact, is the feeling, 13 years after 9/11, that America has been chasing its tail; that, in some whack-a-mole horror show, the quashing of a jihadi enclave here only spurs the sprouting of another there; that the ideology of Al Qaeda is still reverberating through a blocked Arab world whose Sunni-Shia balance (insofar as that went) was upended by the American invasion of Iraq.
to end up; to set on end
to tip or turn over
to destroy, invalidate