Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: Alarm
- 1 English
- 2 Dutch
- 3 Polish
- 4 Serbo-Croatian
- Rhymes: -ɑː(r)m
- A summons to arms, as on the approach of an enemy.
- Arming to answer in a night alarm. --Shakespeare.
- Any sound or information intended to give notice of approaching danger; a warning sound to arouse attention; a warning of danger.
- Sound an alarm in my holy mountain. --Joel ii. 1.
- A sudden attack; disturbance.
- these home alarms
- Alexander Pope
- thy palace fill with insults and alarms
- Sudden surprise with fear or terror excited by apprehension of danger; in the military use, commonly, sudden apprehension of being attacked by surprise.
- Alarm and resentment spread throughout the camp. --Thomas Babington Macaulay.
- A mechanical device for awaking people, or rousing their attention.
- The clockradio is a friendlier version of the cold alarm by the bedside
- An instance of an alarum ringing or clanging, to give a noise signal at a certain time.
- You should set the alarm on your watch to go off at seven o'clock.
summons to arms
notice of approaching danger
sudden surprise with fear or terror
mechanical contrivance for awaking
instance of an alarum ringing or clanging
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
- (transitive) To call to arms for defense
- (transitive) To give (someone) notice of approaching danger
- (transitive) To rouse to vigilance and action; to put on the alert.
- (transitive) To surprise with apprehension of danger; to fill with anxiety in regard to threatening evil; to excite with sudden fear.
- (transitive) To keep in excitement; to disturb.
to call to arms
to give notice (by sound or otherwise) of approaching danger
to surprise with apprehension of danger
to keep in excitement; to disturb
Translations to be checked
declension of alarm
àlarm m (Cyrillic spelling а̀ларм)
declension of alarm
- “alarm” in Hrvatski jezični portal