Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (Italianate) enPR: (approximately): bărisʹtă, IPA(key): /baˈrista/
- (RP) enPR: bărĭsʹtə, IPA(key): /baˈɹɪstə/
barista (plural baristas)
- A person who serves behind the counter in a coffee shop.
- Barista, in Italian, is of common gender. For English speakers cursorily familiar with Italian grammar, it may appear feminine on first encounter, as evidenced by the existence of the hypercorrect derivation baristo, intended as its masculine counterpart.
- baristo (hypercorrect masculine form)
Declension of barista (type kala)