Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
hostel (plural hostels)
- A commercial overnight lodging place, with dormitory accommodation and shared facilities, especially a youth hostel
- (not US) A temporary refuge for the homeless providing a bed and sometimes food
- (obsolete) A small, unendowed college in Oxford or Cambridge.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Holinshed to this entry?)
- See also Wikisaurus:pub
an affordable overnight lodging place
short for youth hostel — see youth hostel
a temporary refuge for the homeless providing a bed and sometimes food
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Declension of hostel
- host m
hostel m (plural hostels)
- Alternative form of ostel.