- (biology) tonicity; tone
- muscular tonus
- 1956, Personal character and cultural milieu: a collection of readings
- Dr. H. S. Sullivan, for example, is known to many for his acute understanding of the postural tonuses of his patients.
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster’s Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.
tonus m (invariable)
Related terms 
- The stretching or straining of a rope.
- (by extension) A strain; tension.
- (figuratively) The pitch, sound or tone of something.
- (figuratively) A crack of thunder.
- tonus in Charlton T. Lewis & Charles Short, A Latin Dictionary, Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1879